Image Map

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Smackdown: Beauty Blender Vs. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

Once upon a time all you could get were little triangle shaped sponges. They were super inexpensive at only a few dollars for a huge package of about 20 of them. They worked well, and a lot of people swore by them. I remember using them when I first started putting makeup on when I was very young. Then, one day, the world changed as we knew it, and the Beauty Blender came out.

It was bright pink and tear-drop shaped and $20. Yes, 20 freaking dollars! For a sponge! Shortly after it's arrival at Sephora, there was a cult following, and everyone and their dog seemed to be raving about it. I would see them at Sephora, and say to myself  "There is no way that I'm spending $20 on a sponge!" Then one day, I broke down after hearing SO MANY people claim that it was the best invention since sliced bread, and I bought the Beauty Blender. My life was changed forever.

This beautiful, pink sponge was so easy to use, and made my foundation so fun to put on. I felt like I was airbrushed after and it didn't look like I had any makeup on at all. It just looked like my skin - only better! But, like most things that are amazing, it didn't last forever and eventually I found myself needing a new one.

By this point a ton of makeup company's had tried to duplicate this dream of a sponge, and FAILED miserably! I purchased one from Walgreens (soho brand) that shredded only after a week, I got one from Target (Sonia Kashuk brand) that felt like I was beating my face up while I was using it. I got the Sephora brand one, and it, too was way too hard for my face. Then, Real Techniques came out with one, and at $5.99 I thought it was at least worth a try.

To my surprise the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge was great! It was certainly not as good as the Beauty Blender. But to be honest, after using the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge and only paying $5.99 for it, the Beauty Blender isn't worth the $20.

The shapes of these 2 sponges are different, and of course the Beauty Blender is a tiny bit easier to work with. Both sponges puff up when dampened (which is the optimal way to use them). The  Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is slightly longer than the Beauty Blender, but I don't feel like it's harder to work with it being longer. They both have a pointed tip for getting into your eye area with ease. The flatter area of these sponges is definitely where you run into a difference in how they apply. The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge has a sort of cut-out on that end, where the Beauty blender is very rounded making it a totally seamless application. The Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge is maybe not as seamless of a finish, but I can't tell a difference when I use it with my favorite foundations.

The biggest similarity of these two sponges, is that they are both very soft after they are dampened and feel the same on my face while I'm applying my cosmetics. This is huge for  me, since that is the thing that seemed to make the Beauty Blender a one-of-a-kind product.

Overall, if you are interested in a sponge like this, then I would definitely save your money and get the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. At only $5.99 it's a GREAT alternative to the Beauty Blender!

No comments:

Post a Comment