Image Map

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Skin Care Week Smackdown: Maracuja Oil vs. Argan Oil

It's no secret that beauty oils are all the rage right now. It seems like there is an oil for everything from your scalp to your toes. I am a firm believer that beauty oils are great for your skin. Two of the more popular oils in the beauty world (namely for your skin) are Maracuja oil and Argan oil. This weeks smackdown is going to tell you about their differences, and which one might be better for you.


Both of these oils have a similar price point when purchased at sephora (My argan oil is from here for a fraction of the price for the exact same product that's at sephora). Tarte Maracuja oil is $46 for 1.7 oz. And, Josie Maran Argan oil is $48 for 1.7 oz.

Maracuja oil is a much "lighter" oil than Argan oil. Meaning it's not as heavy feeling on your skin, and it soaks in much faster. With that being said, I feel like Argan oil is more moistuizing than Maracuja oil is. But they are both hydrating, Argan just being the more hydrating of the 2.

These 2 oils have slightly different benefits for your skin. Argan oil is high in vitamin e, fatty acids and antioxidants. Which basically means that is is great for making your skin restore a youthful appearance as well as improves elasticity, tone and texture. Maracuja oil is high in vitamin c, calcium, phosphorous, and essential fatty acids. This means that it does the same thing as Argan oil, but with the help of that vitamin c, it also boosts collagen production and improves brightness.

So, which of these two wonderful oils is better? I personally think that they are equally good. But they may not be equally good for your skin. If you have more oily skin, or dull skin, then Maracuja oil is definitely the choice for you. And, for more dry or aged skin, Argan oil is the clear choice since it is a bit more hydrating. I keep both oils on hand at all times. I love Argan oil for use in my hair as well as my dry cuticles. I also use it on my face right after I get out of the shower since it is so hydrating, I feel like it locks it that moisture before it escapes from my skin. And I can't imagine my night time skin care routine without my Maracuja oil. I notice a difference when I don't use Maracuja oil at night. My face does not have the same brightness as when I do use it. That being said, Maracuja oil is recommended for only nightly use since vitamin c can have adverse effects when exposed to sunlight.


So have you gotten on the trend of beauty oils? Which of these oils do you like better? I'd love to hear about your experiences. 

2 comments:

  1. Check out our in-depth article about Argan Oil Vs Maracuja Oil For Hair, Skin, Face, Acne for more information. Thanks, Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, can we mix them together? F.e. 1:1 and use it altogether?

    ReplyDelete